Sunday, February 10, 2008

the (re)beginnings

This semester, I would like to continue refining the work I have previous done on the piece titled, Emergent Identity, with the intent to:
a) present a similar piece during the "Wonder Women" Phase 1 series and
b) develop a proposal for a similar temporary installation along the Minneapolis Greenway.

Some things I need to consider:

Technology
I had originally intended to use an ultrasonic sensor but experienced some programming (and ordering) difficulties. I would like to try again to use this technology, as I am told it is less sensitive to incidental movement and better suited to an outdoor environment than the IR sensor that I reverted to in the first rendition of this project.

Audience
While understanding the audience for the Minneapolis Greenway would require more research on my part, I would like to experiment with designing Emergent Identity for another audience using the context of the Phase 1: Wonder Women in Art event. This will allow me to re-concept and refine the imagery that is projected and work with an audience that is more specific than just West Bank Arts Quarter students. Ideally, this will show the adaptability of the underlying theory and concept behind Emergent Identity and relate its ability to work within the context of the Greenway as well.

Content
I would like to explore the dynamic nature of the content that is generated, perhaps experimenting with different and/or multiple input devices in order to vary the imagery that is presented. Possibilities include data feeds from wi-fi devices, statistical information regarding the space and/or audience, and off-site internet input.

Context
I would like to spend more time considering the how the audience and content are working together in the presentation space. In the Greenway, I would ideally like to have two presentation contexts: one on the Greenway and one above. This would be able to relate the goings-on of the Greenway to those who are not currently involved (street level) as well as relate the sense of activity and identity to those who are active within the environment.

I am looking forward to considering these different elements given a new context and having already figured out some of the technical aspects of this project. I feel as though I have a firm hold on the theory and now just need to figure out the appropriate configuration for expressing the sense of an emergent identity that is dynamic and participant generated.

No comments: