Saturday, May 17, 2008

Emergent identity methodology

At the beginning of this semester, I set out to develop my original Emergent Identity piece for a new setting and audience in order to prove its adaptability and applicability to additional contexts. Eventually, I decided to go about proving that in a different manner – by creating entirely new pieces that were unrelated in product but driven by the same theory and process that informed the original piece. As a result, I created three pieces that range from art prints, to a web 2.0 site, to a neighborhood identity for North Minneapolis. Collectively, these pieces speak to the strength of the original piece's theory, which I am beginning to roughly map out in the above left image (click image for enlarged view). I hope to use this rough methodology to embark on a new design or an additional iteration of one of the these four designs in order to showcase its ability to be a new design process as well as work out some of the kinks in its theory, wording, etc. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

so don't ask how, but i stumbled upon your site. i saw this post for north mpls neighborhood identity. my bro lives in north mpls and has a heart for the people, etc. how did you stumble upon this idea? did you do something for an organization? just curious.my brother may be interested in your idea. email me back.