Tuesday, April 22, 2008

emerging connections

Today I started making connections all over the place. I'm tempted to do a mind map, but not just yet –it'll come. Just to help me solidify some of my thoughts, here's what I need to map/think about/research some more:

  • Principles of emergence (Read: Emergence, by Steven Johnson, play with NetLogo)
  • Relation to formation of cities, social patterns of people, and identity formation of a group or space (Read: Production of Space, Lefebvre; The Death and Life of Great American Cities, Jacobs; Dolores Hayden)
  • Possible connections to Okham's razor, game/innovation/creativity theory, social knowledge or networking sites (self-regulating, simple solutions, emergent knowledge), hip-hop (collective memory and identity)
  • Other reads: In the Bubble (Thackara); Laws of Simplicity (Maeda)
  • Other inspirations: Marian Bantjes, Johnathan Harris, Edward Tufte (maybe)
In sum, I think it's a bit like this:
Emergence > Patterns > Identity > Applications

No comments: